WASHINGTON, D.C. (03-23-15) – On the fifth anniversary of President Obama signing Obamacare into law, Americans United for Life President and CEO Dr. Charmaine Yoest noted that “anti-life policies interwoven into every part of the law makes repealing and replacing the landmark, anti-life law a pro-life necessity.”
“In Obamacare we see that the abortion lobby has fully moved from choice to coercion, willing to punish, fine, tax, and put out of business every American who does not embrace the agenda of Big Abortion,” Dr. Yoest noted. “Although repeated promises were made about protections to be built into the law that would respect people’s pro-life convictions, in fact, such protections never materialized.”
On this fifth anniversary of Obamacare, AUL’s legal team released Myths and Facts on Taxpayer Funding for Abortion, the latest in AUL’s analysis on life-affirming and life-destroying care, found at www.realhealthcarerespectslife.com
During the healthcare debate, AUL and its sister organization AUL Action advocated for life-affirming healthcare and for protections of First Amendment Conscience Rights. To date, AUL has filed 27 amicus curiae (friend of the court) briefs related to problems in Obamacare. AUL has also assisted 12 states with language and advice in opting out of abortion coverage in state insurance exchanges.
Abortion is woven into the healthcare law at multiple levels, making repeal of the law a pro-life necessity, including:
- Failing to prohibit the use of federal tax dollars for abortion, abortion coverage, and abortion-inducing drugs and devices.
- Pretending that the Hyde Amendment protections were enough to prohibit direct payment for abortions.
- Permitting federally subsidized Qualified Health Plans (QHPs) to provide abortion coverage through the state insurance exchanges required in all 50 states.
- Failing to prohibit all multi-state qualified health plans from providing coverage for abortion.
- Including a “preventive care” mandate that is being used to force coverage of drugs and devices known to end life.
- Failing to provide comprehensive First Amendment conscience protections for individuals, employers, and insurance companies that have religious or moral objections to abortion.
For interviews on anti-life policies in Obamacare, e-mail: email@example.com