Today, the U.S. House Committee on Oversight and Reform will be holding a pro-abortion hearing titled: “Examining the Harm to Patients from Abortion Restrictions and the Threat of a National Abortion Ban.” Once again, Americans United for Life has been asked to be the minority witness at this hearing to refute the lies of the abortion lobby and rebuttal the narrative that abortion bans are a threat to our democracy.
Americans United for Life board member Dr. Monique Chireau Wubbenhorst will be delivering the in-person testimony to put the truth on display and expose lies. Americans United for Life will also be submitting a written statement which you can read here.
Abortion Is The Real Threat To Women & Children
Dr. Wubbenhorst is a board-certified obstetrician-gynecologist with over 30 years of experience in patient care, teaching, research, health policy, and global health. She is an expert in women’s health, focusing on providing obstetric and gynecological care for underserved and disadvantaged populations, including patients in both domestic and international settings, including those with limited access to care. She argues:
- Abortion is the real threat to women’s health
- Abortion is not healthcare
- Fetuses are human beings
- A fetus can feel pain at an earlier gestational age than previously thought
- The collection of abortion statistics is clearly flawed
- Abortion is far more dangerous for women than childbirth
- The vast majority of abortions are not performed out of medical necessity
- Medical abortion has 8 times the risk for women to hemorrhage than surgical abortion
- The risk of death from surgical abortion increases with the gestational age of the fetus
- The fetal heartbeat is an important and useful measure of fetal health
- There are substantial racial disparities in abortion rates
- The abortion rate for black women is 2-3 times higher than for white women
- Women of black and other races were 2.4 times as likely as white women to die of complications of abortion
Click here to read Dr. Wubbenhorst’s full opening remarks with references.
The Committee’s Hearing is a Failing Attempt to Defend the Indefensible
In a written statement, Americans United for Life highlighted that Dobbs rightly repudiated Roe’s fabricated “right to an abortion”, that the American people increasingly reject abortion, and that the current U.S. House Majority’s promotion of abortion on demand goes far beyond even Roe. You can read the full written comments here.