Arkansas Uses AUL-Based Language to Protect Taxpayers from Funding Abortion
Arkansas SB 569, based on AUL language, “will separate taxpayer funds from the coffers of abortionists, protecting taxpayers from being forced to pay directly or indirectly for abortions, and funding better medical care for women,” said AUL’s Dr. Charmaine Yoest.
WASHINGTON, D.C. (04-03-15) — Americans United for Life President and CEO Dr. Charmaine Yoest commended Arkansas Governor Asa Hutchison for signing into law Arkansas SB 569, based on AUL language that “will separate taxpayer funds from the coffers of abortionists, protecting taxpayers from being forced to pay directly or indirectly for abortions, and funding better medical care for women.”
“Big Abortion has moved from choice to coercion, forcing people to support their grisly industry. But Arkansas legislators, led by sponsor Sen. Gary Stubblefield with help from AUL, the Arkansas Family Council, and pro-life leaders, worked together to pass SB 569, preventing the abortion industry from building their profit margins at the expense of taxpayers,” said Dr. Yoest. “This legislation also protects the First Amendment Conscience Rights of Americans, who do not want to be entangled with an industry that harms women and destroys unborn life.”
Rather than the funds going to abortion providers, the monies will go to full service medical facilities, where women receive more complete care not offered by abortionists.
“By sending women to a full service medical center, rather than an abortion clinic, women receive actual healthcare that respects life and treats the complete person,” noted Dr. Yoest. In fact, Planned Parenthood’s internal surveys show that approximately 70% of women who visit their clinics do not follow up with referrals to other medical facilities for important health needs, and Planned Parenthood does not offer breast care or other general health services.
Dr. Yoest observed: “The data in Planned Parenthood’s recently released Annual Report shows that chemical and surgical abortions, along with profits, increased at Planned Parenthood. In fact, 94 percent of its pregnancy related ‘services’ are abortion. Meanwhile, under Cecile Richard’s leadership, the kinds of services touted in its advertising are all down, including cancer screening and prevention, breast exams/breast care, adoption referrals, and prenatal services.” To learn more about Planned Parenthood’s billion-dollar business, click here.
During the healthcare debates, a Quinnipiac University National Poll found that more than 7 out of 10 Americans agree that their taxpayer dollars should not be used to pay for abortions — including both people who identify themselves as pro-choice and pro-life.
Abortion is woven into the healthcare law at multiple levels, making repeal of the law a pro-life necessity, including:
- Failing to prohibit the use of federal tax dollars for abortion, abortion coverage, and abortion-inducing drugs and devices.
- Pretending that the Hyde Amendment protections were enough to prohibit direct payment for abortions.
- Permitting federally subsidized Qualified Health Plans (QHPs) to provide abortion coverage through the state insurance exchanges required in all 50 states.
- Failing to prohibit all multi-state qualified health plans from providing coverage for abortion.
- Including a “preventive care” mandate that is being used to force coverage of drugs and devices known to end life.
- Failing to provide comprehensive First Amendment conscience protections for individuals, employers, and insurance companies that have religious or moral objections to abortion.
For more on the dangers of abortion, click here. For more on AUL’s cutting edge legislation, found in Defending Life, click here.