“Planned Parenthood is Abortion, Inc.,” says AUL’s Dr. Charmaine Yoest, “with more than 40 percent of its funding coming from taxpayers. At Planned Parenthood today, abortion is up, taxpayer funding is up, and cancer screenings are down.”
WASHINGTON, D.C. (01-20-15) – On the eve of President Obama’s State of the Union Address, Americans United for Life released a report, noting that the abortion business run by Planned Parenthood has reported over 510 MILLION DOLLARS IN PROFIT since Barack Obama became President. At the same time, Planned Parenthood has taken in 3 BILLION tax dollars in fact, more than 40 percent of its overall support comes from taxpayers. “In his State of the Union Address today, will the President report that during his time in office the number of abortions performed by Planned Parenthood has gone up and taxpayer support of abortion has gone up, while other services, like breast screenings have gone down?” said AUL President and CEO Dr. Charmaine Yoest. “Over the objections of the majority of Americans, tax dollars are supporting a highly profitable, highly secretive abortion industry.”
Dr. Yoest discussed AUL’s findings in a video as well as in a report prepared by AUL’s legal team. This follows up on AUL’s detailed analysis of Planned Parenthood’s track record, in The Case for Investigating Planned Parenthood and the Planned Parenthood Exhibits, further detailing exactly what kind of “services” are sold by the Abortion Industry leader, which commits nearly 1 in 3 abortions nationwide.
Dr. Yoest observed: “The data in Planned Parenthood’s recently released Annual Report shows that chemical and surgical abortions, along with profits, increased at Planned Parenthood. In fact, 94 percent of its pregnancy related ‘services’ are abortion. Meanwhile, under Cecile Richard’s leadership, the kinds of services touted in its advertising are all down, including cancer screening and prevention, breast exams/breast care, adoption referrals and prenatal services.”
“This report is one more reason for Congress to take up the No Taxpayer Funding of Abortion Act, to separate the hard-earned dollars of Americans from a grisly business,” said Dr. Yoest. “And this illustrates why repealing Obamacare, which is riddled with funding streams for the abortion industry, is a necessity.”
During the healthcare debates, a Quinnipiac University National Poll found that more than seven out of ten Americans agree that their taxpayer dollars should not be used to pay for abortions — including people who identify themselves as pro-choice and pro-life.
Abortion is woven into the healthcare law at multiple levels, making repeal of the law a pro-life necessity, including:
- Failing to prohibit the use of federal tax dollars for abortion, abortion coverage, and abortion-inducing drugs and devices.
- Pretending that the Hyde Amendment protections were enough to prohibit direct payment for abortions.
- Permitting federally subsidized Qualified Health Plans (QHPs) to provide abortion coverage through the state insurance exchanges required in all 50 states.
- Failing to prohibit all multi-state qualified health plans from providing coverage for abortion.
- Including a “preventive care” mandate that is being used to force coverage of drugs and devices known to end life.
- Failing to provide comprehensive First Amendment conscience protections for individuals, employers, and insurance companies that have religious or moral objections to abortion.
To learn more about the health risks for abortion for women, click here