Americans United for Life (AUL), a national law and policy nonprofit organization that defends human life through vigorous legislative, judicial, and education efforts, seeks a full-time Staff Counsel. Located in Washington, D.C., the Staff Counsel will assist with all aspects of AUL’s extensive legal program, embracing and fostering the pro-life mission of Americans United for Life. Working independently and exercising good judgment and discretion, the Staff Counsel will focus on litigation and defending pro-life laws in the courts, working with state Attorneys General offices, pro-life healthcare groups, and other allies. The Staff Counsel tracks litigation affecting life across the country, files briefs in federal and state courts, provides legislative consulting, and researches, drafts, and develops educational and media material. The position reports to the Chief Legal Officer & General Counsel. Requirements include J.D. from an accredited law school, license to practice law in at least one state, and substantive legal experience, with litigation and/or legislative experience preferred. To apply, send cover letter and resume to email@example.com.
Americans United for Life (AUL), a national nonprofit pro-life legal and public policy organization, seeks an Executive Assistant to provide high level administrative support to the President & CEO. The Executive Assistant handles information requests, calendar, and travel arrangements, conducts research as needed, coordinates meetings and conference calls, participates in event planning and management, and assists with presentations and documents. The Executive Assistant maintains a high level of responsibility, exercising discretion and sound independent judgment in performing assigned tasks. Strong candidates will have proven and effective organizational skills, and impeccable communication skills. Must be approachable, hard-working, and calm under pressure. Must have college degree and at least one year administrative experience, preferably supporting senior executives. This position requires a high level of professionalism, confidentiality, and attention to detail, an ability to prioritize and multitask, and a commitment to AUL’s pro-life mission. Full time position located in Washington, DC. To apply, please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Director of Development
Americans United for Life (AUL), a national nonprofit pro-life legal and public policy organization, seeks a Director of Development to craft and execute AUL’s development and stewardship strategies to meet annual revenue needs. This is an exceptional opportunity to contribute substantively to the growth and effectiveness of a mission-driven, resulted-oriented organization.
Reporting to the Chief Engagement Officer, the Director of Development oversees and manages relational and data-driven fundraising methods, including major gifts, foundations, proposals, direct mail, and web and email campaigns.
Bachelor’s degree and minimum of three years of experience with development, donor relations, and fundraising are expected. Ability to effectively communicate both verbally and in writing; strong organizational skills; ability to communicate with donors, vendors, and the public in a professional manner; and working knowledge of grant-funding and general not-for-profit fundraising guidelines.
Compensation is competitive and will be commensurate with experience.
Please send resumes to email@example.com.
Legal Fellows Program
“The Americans United for Life Fellowship represents a great opportunity to learn and serve with a top-notch public-interest law firm. AUL’s reputation is unmatched for high quality legal work aimed at making every child welcome in life and protected in law.” —Mary Ann Glendon, Learned Hand Professor of Law, Harvard University
Every summer, law students from across the country apply for a limited number of openings in the Americans United for Life Fellowship Program. Law students with an interest in pro-life law come to the Washington D.C. metro area for a summer internship that is unparalleled.
AUL accepts first- and second-year students for up to eight weeks each summer at AUL’s Washington, DC office. Mentored by an AUL attorney, each fellow is tasked with a special legal project. During their summer, they also meet regularly with AUL staff in conjunction with their work.
Qualifications for becoming an AUL Fellow include a firm commitment to life issues and demonstrated excellence both inside and outside the classroom. Additionally, we look for individuals who stand out to the faculty of their school. The fellowship program will:
- Actively employ Fellows’ talents to advance AUL’s lifesaving work
- Give Fellows a solid foundation of legal experience to build on
- Introduce fellows to pro-life leaders, both within AUL and at other organizations in the pro-life movement
2019 Legal Fellowship Application Information
- Who: Top law students with a commitment to protecting human life
- When: 8 weeks during 1L or 2L summer; split summers accepted
- Where: AUL’s Washington, DC office
- To Apply: Send a cover letter, resume, writing
sampleand three references from faculty and/or lawyers by email to:Fellows@AUL.org
- All applications must be received by April 1, 2020.
- Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Americans United for Life (AUL) seeks highly-qualified and motivated law students to serve as legal externs. The externship is unpaid and may be undertaken for credit (as approved by the extern’s law school) or to fulfill other graduation requirements.
- Excellent legal research and writing skills.
- Demonstrated initiative and attention to detail.
- Ability to work with minimal direct supervision. Students may participate in AUL’s Externship program by either working in our Washington DC office or by working remotely.
- Candidates must demonstrate a commitment to AUL’s mission.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Externs provide legal research and drafting support for amicus briefs, model legislation, and public policy educational material on the full spectrum of life issues including abortion, bioethics, healthcare rights of conscience, and the end-of-life.
- Externs will also work closely with AUL attorneys in researching, drafting, and editing scholarly articles. These articles will be published in a variety of resources and venues including AUL’s publications such as Defending Life (a comprehensive state-by-state guide to life issues), law reviews, national periodicals, and websites.
- Externs will be asked to work an average of 10 hours per week.
- Applications will be accepted and considered on a “rolling basis.” The deadline for the Spring externship is January 30, 2020, and the deadline for the Fall externship is September 10, 2020.
- Applications for the Summer semester deadline is June 15, 2020.
- Students wishing to pursue an externship for law school credit should apply early to ensure that registration and other requirements are met.
- Send a resume, cover letter, writing sample, and list of three references to “email@example.com” with “Fall Externship” in the
- For more information, email “firstname.lastname@example.org”.
Americans United for Life seeks highly-qualified and motivated undergraduate and graduate students to serve as interns. AUL internships are outstanding opportunities for exceptional students committed to life issues.
Interns must be available to work in AUL’s offices located in the Washington, DC metro area. Internships are unpaid and may be undertaken for credit (as approved by their school) or to fulfill other graduation requirements.
Qualifications for becoming an intern include a commitment to pro-life issues and demonstrated excellence both inside and outside the classroom. Additionally, we are looking for individuals who stand out to the faculty of their school.
To apply, send a cover letter, resume, two professional or educational references, and two personal references by email to “email@example.com”.