AUL Welcomes Prominent Attorney and Pro-Life Advocate
Ovide Lamontagne as General Counsel
Senator Kelly Ayotte and former Senator Jim DeMint of the Heritage Foundation to Speak
During Rooftop Reception
WASHINGTON, D.C. (05-14-13) – Americans United for Life President and CEO Dr. Charmaine Yoest will welcome prominent attorney Ovide Lamontagne as General Counsel, leading the legal and government affairs divisions of the nation’s premier pro-life legal team. Among the dignitaries present to give remarks will be Senator Kelly Ayotte and former Senator Jim DeMint, now President of the Heritage Foundation.
Americans United for Life, the legal architects of the pro-life movement, has led the way in bringing legal advocacy to the cause of life. As recently reported by the New York Times, AUL was involved in approximately one-third of the astonishing 132 pro-life bills passed in 2012 and 2011. The surge of pro-life legislation has carried forward into 2013 with the enactment of multiple pro-life protections. Lamontagne will be developing and coordinating a comprehensive and innovative 50-state strategy.
“Ovide is an essential asset to AUL as we continue our great momentum of success in advancing a culture of life in America,” noted Dr. Yoest. “His strategic organization and coordination of AUL’s intellectual architecture will allow AUL to build upon our already exceptional foundation.”
Lamontagne comes to AUL from the law firm of Devine, Millimet & Branch, one of New Hampshire’s most prominent firms. The 2012 Republican nominee for Governor of New Hampshire, Ovide has a broad range of diverse legal experience spanning nearly 30 years.
Ovide was recently recognized and ranked in Chambers USA 2011 as one of America’s leading attorneys in General Commercial Litigation. He was also selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2012 in the field of Commercial Litigation and in the field of Litigation in Construction, and has an AV rating with Martindale-Hubbell. He is a member of the New Hampshire Bar Association and the National Diocesan Attorneys Association.
A former schoolteacher, Ovide was appointed in 1993 by Governor Stephen Merrill as Chairman of the New Hampshire State Board of Education, where he served until 1996.
Ovide’s breadth of legal experience includes:
- Successfully representing several clients in appeals before the New Hampshire Supreme Court;
- Serving as Legal Counsel to the New Hampshire State Senate;
- Serving as Lead Counsel in the successful merger of Lakes Region General Hospital and Franklin Regional Hospital;
- Overseeing the sale of a not-for-profit college to a for-profit educational entity;
- Serving as outside General Counsel to Catholic Medical Center over a 15 year period, advising on all areas of healthcare law;
- Serving as outside General Counsel to the Roman Catholic Diocese of Manchester;
- Overseeing the sale of a not-for-profit college to a for-profit educational entity; and
- Representing a manufactured home owners cooperative in the largest transaction of its kind in New Hampshire;
A father of two daughters by adoption and foster father to a special needs son, Lamontagne and his wife Bettie are well known for their work with charitable organizations in the community.
To book an interview with Lamontagne, contact AUL’s media office. Follow him on Twitter at @OvideAUL. To learn more, click here.
For more information on AUL’s rooftop event, click here.