Americans United for Life (AUL), a national public interest law and policy organization defending human life through vigorous legislative, judicial, and educational efforts, seeks highly-qualified and motivated law students to serve as legal externs during the Fall and Spring semesters each year. The externships are unpaid and may be undertaken for credit (as approved by the extern’s law school) or to fulfill other graduation requirements.
• Excellent legal research and writing skills.
• Demonstrated initiative and attention to detail.
• Ability to work with minimal direct supervision. Candidates are not required to be in the Washington, D.C. area, but must be available by telephone and email.
Duties & Responsibilities
• Externs will work closely with AUL attorneys in researching, drafting, and editing scholarly articles. These articles will be published in a variety of resources and venues including AUL’s Defending Life (a comprehensive state by state guide to life issues), law reviews, national magazines, and websites.
• Externs will also work on legal research in support of and drafting of amicus briefs, model legislation, and public policy educational material on the full spectrum of life issues including abortion, bioethics, health care rights of conscience, and the end-of-life.
• Applications will be accepted on a “rolling basis.” The deadline for Fall 2011 is September 15, 2011.
• Students wishing to pursue an externship for law school credit should apply early to ensure that registration and other requirements are met.
• Send a resume, cover letter, writing sample, and list of three references to Resumes@AUL.org with “Fall 2011 Externship” in subject line.
• For more information, email Resumes@AUL.org or call (202) 741-4907.