Senior Counsel, AUL Rights of Conscience Center
Background: Americans United for Life (AUL) is a non-profit legal and educational organization dedicated to promoting a nation in which every person is protected in law and welcomed in life. AUL is seeking an attorney with 2-5 years of experience to serve as lead counsel in AUL’s Center for Rights of Conscience (ROC) to promote legal protection for freedom of conscience for medical professionals.
Top Objectives for Center for ROC in 2007-2008
- Initiating and maintaining contacts with legislators and policy groups in preparation for 2008 legislative sessions
- Establishing an ROC website
- Developing overall public education strategy for ROC & specific initiatives through op-eds, other articles, and radio and TV interviews
- Organize media training seminar for medical professionals on ROC
- Attending quarterly meetings of ROC organizations and develop good contacts with representatives of policy and medical groups committed to ROC
- Monitoring on-going litigation
- Developing ROC conference for 2008-2009
Responsibilities: Draft state legislation, consult with state legislators and policy groups, and present legislative testimony on right of conscience legislation. Develop web site devoted to legal protection of healthcare rights of conscience. Develop public education strategy in support of rights of conscience. Monitor ROC litigation around the country and file amicus briefs in appellate litigation on rights of conscience issues. Organize and participate in coalitions of allied public policy groups. Draft articles for publication and participate in media interviews. Track legislative developments and rights of conscience litigation nationwide and write analytical articles and reports.
Requirements: Juris Doctor degree with distinction. 2-5 years experience in law and policy, including appellate brief writing and policy development. Excellent public speaking skills and writing ability, as demonstrated by published opinion pieces, journal pieces or law review articles on health care, rights of conscience, bioethics, or constitutional law and policy issues. Legislative drafting duties make experience as a legislator, legislative staffer, or legislative liaison a beneficial qualification. Ability to commit to the project for at least 3 years.
Salary: Commensurate with experience.
Reporting: To Denise Burke, Vice-President & Legal Director
Starting Date: November 1, 2007.
Please send resume with a cover letter, writing sample, and list of references to:
Americans United for Life
ATTN: Clarke D. Forsythe, President & Denise Burke, Vice-President & Legal Director
310 South Peoria Street
Chicago, IL 60607-3534
Visit our website: www.AUL.org